Friday, February 04, 2011

Who Are You Rooting For on Superbowl Sunday?

Who are you rooting for on Superbowl Sunday?

If you know me, you know I'm a Bears fan...so clearly my team isn't going to the Superbowl. A part of me is rooting for the Packers, even though they are sworn enemies of the Bears, since they are the NFC champs.

So...why am I writing about the Superbowl in this blog about domestic violence and the workplace?  Because there's a young man named Will Gay who plays for the Steelers -- and I'm rooting for him on Sunday.

Why am I rooting for Will? 

Take a look at the vignette below that he taped for The Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh on the tragic death of his mother at the hands of her husband. It is a heartbreaking story and shows the effects domestic violence had on his life.












Will is a hero for speaking out for all the children who can't.  Will is a hero for talking about his experiences when so many others cannot.

I am sure his mother is proud of him every day. 

I am rooting for Will.  Not only on Superbowl Sunday but everyday. And for everyone like Will who makes it.

5 comments:

KWG said...

I'll be rooting for the children of domestic violence, the healing, higher emotional intelligence and greater personal responsibility. Go Will.

Kim Wells said...

KWG - I am rooting for heroes like you :-)

heidi said...

what a great man and wonderful role model for people everywhere!

Kim Wells said...

@Heidi - I agree -- and he stays a great role model long after the Super Bowl is over!

Lisa said...

He seem like a good person. I'm a child of domestic violence myself but my story isn't tragic. He seems like a good role model.